14 Shocking Ocean Discoveries
28-09-2016 1:12am | by Web Desk
14 Shocking Ocean Discoveries
Isn’t the ocean immense and beautiful? But just as vast and unfathomable, it is, the ocean is also very mysterious. What secrets does the ocean hold? Here are 14 shocking ocean discoveries:
1. The 13,600 years old fishing weir. Scientists have discovered a fishing weir that dates back to nearly 14,000 years. The discovery site is at the heart of the Gwaii archipelago. It was made of a stone material and used to coral fish.
2. The lost micro-continent. In 2013, scientists discovered a hidden continent under Mauritius that’s located in the Indian-ocean. It was a tiny island that formed from underwater volcanoes. The microcontinent drowned after the continental break-up that occurred about 18 million years ago. It was believed to be a part of the supercontinent Rodinia
3. The world’s deepest fish. In 2013, scientists discovered an ocean mystery hidden in the Marianas Trench. It was the deepest ocean living fish, which is a new species of the snailfish found at 26,722 feet under the ocean, far deeper than the anglerfish.
4. A 125-year-old bottle of beer. A half bottle of the brew Alexander Keith was found in November 2015 on the the deep floor off the shoreline of Halifax. The bottle was believed to be used during the 1870s and is as old as Canada.
5. Underwater locomotives. Two massive locomotives weighing 15 tons each were found in 1985 at 90 feet below the ocean surface of New Jersey. These locomotives were said to be built during the early 1850’s.
6. Glowing creatures of the Pacific ocean- Creatures that are inflorescent were discovered by a photographer on one of his explorations. The ocean creatures have the ability to glow green, red and orange. Scientists were shocked because the light of these creatures under the ocean was constant.
7. The coral reef tomb of headless skeletons. A coral tomb of remains believed to be 3000 years old was discovered under the Pacific Ocean. It was home to 60 headless skeletons. The feat was thought of to be the biggest skeleton find ever in the Pacific Ocean.
8. The non-extinct extinct fish, the-Coelacanth. This species was thought of to be dead with the dinosaurs at the ending of the Cretaceous period. However, a Coelacanth was found very a good deal alive in 1938 off the shoreline of the East Africa.
9. Metal balls of the Atlantic Ocean. Scientists by accident discovered manganese balls on one of their underwater explorations. These balls grow in millimeters over the path of a thousand years. There be so heaps of of them found on the the deep floor.
10. The Baltic Sea anomaly- A large mushroom-shaped disc was found under the ocean of the Baltic the endless in June 2011. There were a lot of speculations, but some scientists believe that it was an antique alien aircraft
11. Mayan Underworld. The Mayas believed that dead souls have to traverse underwater caves with the aid of a sightless dog to get to the afterlife. They thought of these watery caves as portals to another world. Scientists believe that the Mayans built underwater caves for religious practices.
12. The Yeti crab. It was discovered in 2005 which made scientists generate a novel genus called the Kinda. Other than being hairy, the Yeti crab has no eyes and it grows its food on its hair
13. The Galeon San Jose. It was a Spanish ship built in 1696. The San Jose got lost and sank during a battle on its means to France in 1708. Remains of the ship were found under the Carribean sea. It contained treasures of bullion, silver, plus emerald amounting to $3 – $17 billion.
14. Lost underwater forest- This was discovered in 2015 off the shoreline of Norfolk. The underwater forest was said to be 10,000 years old and has been hidden given that the frost age. It was thought of to be a part of Dogger land, a section of terra firma that bridged Britain and Europe
Read more interesting articles and watch amazing videos at Media24by7.